Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Boys' High


I had my (Carson) first day of school today at Gisborne Boys' High. School is different here. The "hallways" are mostly outside and the school is divided up into different blocks.

On break one of the kids comes up to me and pulls out a bunch of Yu-Gi-Oh cards. (For those who don't know what those are, Yu-Gi-Oh is a trading card game which young kids in Canada play. And by young I mean maybe up to grade 5.) He asks me if people play Yu-Gi-Oh in Canada and I say that young kids do. He then says that they don't actually play the real Yu-Gi-Oh game, they just chuck cards at the wall and see who can get theirs closest.

He tells me he'll take me to the "Yu-Gi-Oh arena," which turned out to be a little clearing absolutely loaded with people playing cards. All along the walls there are people chucking cards at the wall trying to get closest. The winner gets how many cards were agreed on at the start of the match. (i.e: "10 down chuck 1" means that they'll each throw one card and the winner gets 10 cards of the opponents) It seems to be the biggest craze at school, flicking cards, and actually seems pretty interesting. I'll have to get me some cards and begin flicking away.

Classrooms are a little chaotic compared to home. I think mostly because it's an all boys school there's an all-encompassing sense of rambunctiousness. (SP?)

A guy from my neighborhood showed me around the school in the morning. He's in most of my classes and his name is Jacob. Nice guy.

Anyhoo, I think school won't be too bad at all.

Peace out,

~ Carson
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. You get a costume? -I would have chosen the Batman outfit, myself...

    ReplyDelete