Friday, February 26, 2010

The Dairy






A New Zealand icon -- the Dairy. . . just a little convenience store on every other street corner. You can buy milk, bread, lollies, some have groceries, others a fish 'n'chip shop, and of course every one has luxurious NZ ice cream. The best! I heard a middle aged Maori teacher explaining to a kid that in North America, people get in their cars and drive 15 minutes to a "Mall" for a litre of milk! "You can't walk to the dairy over there." Here are the dairies I pass everyday on my 10 minute drive to work.

1 comment:

  1. This is a pretty great thing... I love this sort of mom and pop operation.. I assume we'll get back to this once the inevitable energy crunch occurs.. I remember when I was a boy, even Quick had a little store. Community building is what that does...
    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete